Impacts of Victimization on Women
When a crime occurs, the effects are rarely temporary or isolated. Primary victims suffer immediate consequences, but they may also experience lingering physical and psychological issues related to the crime. They often participate in trials and court hearings, which can be lengthy ordeals that consume large amounts of victimsâ€™ time, energy, and resources. Victims also may have difficulty coping even after the entire process is over.
In addition to the primary victims, a crime may affect the victimâ€™s friends, family members, and neighbors, who then become the secondary victims. A crime may have significant, long-lasting impacts on the community in which it occurs and can even make ripples on a national or international scale.
For this Assignment, you examine the case of Jaycee Dugard, who was kidnapped when she was 11 years old and held captive for 18 years before being rescued. You also consider short- and long-term impacts of the case on both primary and secondary victims.
In 1991, Jaycee Dugard, an 11-year-old girl, was kidnapped walking home from the school bus. Jayceeâ€™s abductors, Phillip and Nancy Garrido, held the girl captive for 18 years. Jaycee was abused, both sexually and emotionally, by her captors and eventually bore two daughters by Phillip Garrido. She began to accept the life she was living and, even when opportunities presented themselves, she never tried to escape. In 2009, Phillip Garrido was investigated by law enforcement related to his parole from prison. During the investigation, Jaycee lied to law enforcement, not revealing her true identity or the fact that she had been kidnapped and abused for years. Upon further investigation, Jaycee revealed the truth and was rescued from her captors. In 2010, Phillip and Nancy Garrido were found guilty of the kidnapping and abuse of Jaycee. The State of California approved a $20 million dollar settlement for Jaycee, to compensate her for various lapses by the Corrections Department, which contributed to Dugard’s continued captivity, ongoing sexual assault, and physical abuse.
The Assignment (2â€“3 pages):
- Explain potential short-term impacts of the abuse on Jaycee Dugard.
- Explain potential long-term impacts of the abuse on Jaycee Dugard.
- Identify any potential secondary victims, and explain potential short- and long-term impacts of the abuse on those victims.
- Explain whether or not the compensation provided was appropriate for this crime and why.
Two to three pages with at least three references….
It is important that you cover all the topics identified in the assignment. Covering the topic does not mean mentioning the topic BUT presenting an explanation from the context of the readings for this class
To get maximum points you need to follow the requirements listed for this assignments 1) look at the page limits 2) review and follow APA rules 3) create subheadings to identify the key sections you are presenting and 4) Free from typographical and sentence construction errors.
- Course Text: Investigating Difference: Human and Cultural Relations in Criminal Justice
- Chapter 11, â€œWomenâ€™s Difference in the Criminal Justice System: Constructions of Victims, Offenders, and Workersâ€
- Article: Boykins, A. D., Alvanzo, A. A. H., Carson, S., Forte, J., Leisey, M., & Plichta, S. B. (2010). Minority women victims of recent sexual violence: Disparities in incident history. Journal of Womenâ€™s Health, 19, 453â€“461.
- Article: Dickman, M. (2009). Should crime pay? A critical assessment of the Mandatory Victims Restitution Act of 1996. California Law Review, 97, 1687â€“1718.
- Article: Wyckoff, R., & Simpson, S. (2008). The effects of self-protective behaviors on injury for African American women in domestic violence situations. Crime, Law & Social Change, 49(4), 271â€“288.
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code “Newclient” for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.