a. What is the order with respect to each reactant?
b. What is the overall order of the reaction and the rate equation?
c. What is the value and units for the rate constant, k?
5. The following reaction is first order with respect to (CH3)3CBr and zero order with respect to CH3OH. The rate constant for the reaction is 2.28 x 10-2 s-1 at 25oC.
(CH3)3CBr + CH3OH (CH3)3COCH3 + HBr
a. Write the rate law expression for this reaction.
b. If initial concentration of (CH3)3CBr is 0.225 M, how long does it take for 75.0% of the (CH3)3CBr to react?
c. What would the concentration of (CH3)3CBr be after 20.0 minutes?
d. What is the half-life for this reaction?
6. Write the Kc expression for the following reaction that occurs at 25.0o C.
2 N2O5 (g) 4 NO2 (g) + O2 (g)
What is the KP expression. Also give an expression that relates Kc and KP.
7. For the following reaction, KP = 6.50 x 10-4 at 308 K
2 NO (g) + Cl2 (g) 2 NOCl (g)
At equilibrium, PNO = 0.35 atm and PCl2 =0.10 atm. What is the equilibrium partial pressure of NOCl?
8. For the following reaction, Kc = 4.10 x 10-4 at 2000oC
N2 (g) + O2 (g) 2 NO (g)
What are the equilibrium concentrations of all species if 0.20 mol of N2 and 0.15 mol of O2 are allowed to reach equilibrium in a 1.0 L container?
9. For the following reaction, Kp = 4.48 x 10-13.
2 HI (g) H2 (g) + I2 (g)
What are the equilibrium partial pressures of all species if 0.557 atm of HI is introduced into a 1.00 L container?
10. Acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin), HC9H7O4, is the most widely used pain reliever and fever reducer. What is the equilibrium concentration of all species, the pH, % ionization, and pOH of a 0.0187 M solution of aspirin? Ka = 3.60 x 10-4
11. For the weak base piperidine, C5H10NH, Kb = 1.30 x 10-3. What is the equilibrium concentration of all species, the pH, % ionization, and pOH of a 0.545 M solution of piperidine?
12. What is the pH of a 0.459 M solution of NaClO. Ka = 2.87 x 10-8
13. Find the pH of a buffer that consists of 0.120 M boric acid (H3BO3) and 0.820 M sodium borate (NaH2BO3). The pKa of boric acid is 9.24.
14. A buffer is made containing 0.2000 M of acid, HA, and 0.1500 M of its conjugate base, A-. What is the pH of this buffer? Also, what is the pH of this buffer after the addition of 0.0015 mol of NaOH to 0.500 L of this buffer? The Ka of the acid is 1.76×10-5
15. What is the pH of a buffer that contains 0.400 M base, B, and 0.250 M of its conjugate acid, BH+? Also, what is the pH of this solution after 0.020 mol of HCl is added to 0.250 L of the buffer? The Kb of the base is 1.82×10-5
16. What is the molar solubility of Ag2SO4? Ksp = 1.52 x 10-5
b. What is the molar solubility of Mg3(PO4)2? Ksp = 5.18×10-24
17. Determine the pH of the resulting solutions when the following reagents are mixed.
a. 20.00mL of 0.2500M HCl mixed with 35.00mL of 0.2250M NaOH
b. 18.00mL of 0.3500M HC2H3O2 mixed with 15.00mL of 0.3000M NaOH
c. 22.50mL of 0.2000M NH3 mixed with 25.00mL of 0.1000M HCl
d. 25.00mL of 0.1000M HClO2 mixed with 25.00mL of 0.1000M KOH
e. 15.00mL of 0.1000M CH3NH2 mixed with 25.00mL of 0.1500M HCl